Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Going once. Going twice. Sold!

First things first. Tonight is date numba 4, y'all! That's right. I'm crossing that finish line with 3 hours to spare. Ain't no shame in that.

Now to recap today's events.

I just started a new job and had to go to orientation today. It started with the inevitable and dreaded icebreaker activity where we had to pick someone's name out of a jar, find that person, and barrage them with a bunch of questions so we could introduce them to the rest of the group. This may have been somewhat enticing had the prospects in that jar not consisted of all women and a mere 2 men.

A woman named T found me and I gave her all the standard responses (i.e. when I graduated from grad school, where I grew up, how long I've lived in NY, etc). She then asked me, "Is there anything else?" When I gave her a quizzical look, she asked, "Like are you married? Single?" I was like, "Oh, I"m single." Guh. Does this really have to come up right now??! She smiled.

Everyone began introducing each other and reciting one impressive resume after the next (i.e. "So-and-So graduated with a doctorate from Harvard and a post-doc from Yale. He/she is director of psychiatric testing at the Albert Ellis Institute").

When it came to T's turn, she opened with, "This is KP. She's a single lady in the city!!!!" Everyone awkwardly laughed and looked my way as I smiled and waved my hand (trying to own it) feeling as if I were being auctioned off as a date at a charity event.

Thanks, T. Never had I detested icebreakers as much as at that moment. (Sidenote: One of my old supervisors was there and just stared at me like, "WHAT??!")

Fortunately, the day got better when the NYFD came in to give us CPR training. We each got our own blow-up doll (to take home). See Exhibit A.




Let's just say I blew him on the floor. And on the table. I think this is one for the DTC board (and maybe the DTD board).

No comments:

Post a Comment