Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Online dating? Or online faking?

Ok I hear KT’s point on the online flirting. I’m like, lets just get TO the DATE already and figure out if we are gonna get this show on the road. Online is just like a new gateway in, a way to check people out that you might not get a chance to see in the real world.

The problem is, online, there is always the risk of going on a date with someone’s profile vs. the person they actually are. Because, lets be honest, sometimes ALL the facts up front just overwhelming. So where do you draw the line online?

Last time I was brutally honest, it backfired. On a scale of 1(never) to 5 (often) how much do you drink? Easy, 5. (Ok, the only person I lie to about this is my doctor. She’s so nice that I don’t want her to worry.) 3 minutes into a first date, I get confronted about my “drinking problem.” Jigga wha? I was telling this to my boss this ridiculous confrontation and he was like, “Wait, you put yours on five? Don’t do that, it just looks bad.” Yikes.

So then the other day, C, my work partner (THIS also goes over well when I try to explain that “yes, I have a partner. No, no, she’s a work-partner. Well, yes she’s a girl. No she’s not my actual partner. I mean, not that there’s anything wrong with that! I just don’t play for that team…” Needless to say this banter is always a “delight.” Even my mom gets awkward talking about it.

Anyway, upon seeing one of my online dating profiles, she paused for a while and looked at me:

C: “…but you don’t have bangs.”

Me: “Right. It’s my best picture.”

Awkward silence when we both realize I have not had bangs for about 6 months.

C: “…but, well…you don’t have bangs.”

Crap. If THAT’s false advertising then I’m in biiig trouble. And I should definitely stop wearing all the extra-padded bras my mom just bought me.

3 comments:

  1. i'm a big stickler for NO message exchanges. asking questions like "what kind of good food have you eaten recently?" at the mention of me being obsessed with eating is just sad and goes nowhere.

    also, kg i think the bang picture is totes fine. it's like a guy posting a pic with a beard and then not having one. wait, is that false advertising?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm but you do have more than one pic, right?!! because that is rule number 2. must have at minimum 2 diff pics posted. otherwise it's sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude on okcu asked what i was hiding in my pics. i was like... boobs?

    seriously, if you have to discuss my appearance -- after having seen three pics -- before meeting me, prolly not going to go out with you.

    just sayin.

    ReplyDelete